Game Design – Week 7 – Tools, Time, and Rooms

CreativeCommons image Tool Stash by Meena Kadri at Flickr.com

SUMMARY

• This week is about learning what to make and how to get an idea.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

A you tuber named Jason Weimann has made an amazing playlist of learning Unity my personal favorite game engine here you can find all the fundamentals of unity and any help you may need while making a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fROTtgZK-Zs&list=PLB5_EOMkLx_WJNuMfYmdl8YK2dEOafsNk

Minimum Viable Product

Minimum Viable product should be your first prototype of your product and should be your first priority when a game is made instead of designed you can find out all the info you will need. Avoid cutting things a incomplete game is worse than a delayed game, take a look at Halo Infinite it was delayed due to customer reviews on the early released footage of the game and the developers listened and delayed the game to make it better.

Game Genres from the Simplest and Most Difficult to Create

1. Racing Game
  2. Top-Down Shooter
  3. 2d Platformer
  4. Color Matching Puzzle Game
  5. 2D Puzzle Platformer
  6. 3D Platformer
  7. FPS
  8. JRPG
  9. Fighting Game
  10. Action Adventure
  11. Western RPG
  12. RTS

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• In a well made game all the elements are tied together and all make sense the game feels fun and addicting to play and you can always be looking forward to the next match or next play through. But as a game designer you should also look at bad games even if it hurts you down to the bone you are still learning from experiencing the game. I personally love a progression system to unlock new items (original Halo Reach) but I despise look boxes and gambling (EA cough cough)

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

I thought today of a game I have always have wanted a realistic survival shooter that prioritizes all realism over everything else, (I know probably not a good Idea) but I would want a game with a real story not another fake one but a real one and followed to such detail that you feel like you where there. Hardly any game can give me this today and it would be amazing to see a game like it in the future. ARMA 4 plz

STUDIO (GAME DESIGN)

• Later this year I will make a simple plat former with an intriguing story and simple to use controls. But this game will be about your ability to see things and testing your ability to put two complete opposites together to solve a puzzle. All games need challenges and I find to many hold your hand, this game will be a no nonsense plat former that will challenge the users every skill.

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION

• This week was a bit rough for me I have been busy with many other classes and have made the mistake of putting work of for other days when I have more time, I now understand that only 15-30 minutes per class a day is all i need to succeed not finishing it all out the day its due.